Masson Mill was built in 1783 next to the River Derwent to take advantage of a greater water flow. It was the first of Arkwright’s mills to use the power of the river.
Initially the mill was powered by a single waterwheel until 1801. It was then replaced by two waterwheels which continued to generate power to keep the machines working throughout the 19th century. Turbines were installed in 1928.
The mill’s overall layout is very different to Arkwright’s mills at Cromford. The entrance and staircase are centrally located leaving production floors clear for the huge cotton spinning machines.
Today, engineering and technology advances are still relevant to Masson Mill. There are now turbines using the fast flowing river Derwent to make hydroelectric power for the Valley.