St Anne’s Church was opened on February 13th 1892 and built from local stone quarried from Ridgeway. It was constructed by Mr Joseph Glossop, a local builder and first churchwarden, on land donated by Mr Hurt of nearby Alderwasley Hall. And it was Mr J. Thewlis Johnson who provided the money for the building of the church. The location where the church stands was originally called Toadmoor (The Old Moor), and first use of Ambergate dates from 1837, and the name was later adopted by the Midland Railway for the railway station.
The church at just above road level is the top storey of a three storey building. Inside the church, there are many Victorian stained glass windows, fragments of pre-civil war stained glass. There is also a marble statue intended for a destroyed Belgian church that depicts an angel protecting Jesus from a snake.