You are exploring part of the Butterley Gangroad, first built in 1793 to link local quarries with the Cromford Canal. It was one of the first railways in the East Midlands, and maybe the world, where a steam locomotive operated successfully.
The gangroad, when built in 1793, followed a stream from the original mine, then crossed Dimple Lane, possibly by means of an underbridge and then ran down the west side of the valley towards Fritchley on a sharply curving route. The gangroad was built by Benjamin Outram to link the initial limestone mine at Crich to the kilns and Amber Wharf at Bullbridge. The limestone from the mine was either burnt in the kilns at the wharf or taken by canal to the Butterley works at Ripley.
The old photograph below (taken looking north up Dimple Lane shows the gateway on the right where the early route from the Warner quarry crossed Dimple Lane and then passed by the engine shed (now converted to a private property) on the route south to Fritchley village.
Around 1850 Hilts quarry was opened and a self acting incline was constructed from the Hat Factory up to the quarry, situated to the south east of Crich village. This branch line to Hilts quarry, passed the engine shed on the west side, passed under Dimple Lane lane via a bridge and then headed up the incline to the quarry between the Hat Factory building on the left and the private house on the right of the photograph. The second Hat Factory building on the south side of Dimple Lane (see illustration below) was demolished in the 1930s.
Further information can be found at www.butterleygangroadproject.co.uk.