Compton House, now known as Lloyds bank, was probably the work by the prominent Derby architect Joseph Pickford.
He built it around 1766 for Francis Beresford (1737 – 1801), who was a younger son of the main Beresford gentry family. Francis, an attorney, made his wealth out of the Butterley Company at Ripley in Derbyshire.
The façade of Compton House is very similar to another work of Pickford, 44 Friar St, Derby, except its facade is in brick and Compton House is in Stone. Prior to building Compton House Joseph Pickford did work re-fronting The Grey House for Brian Hodgson and The Mansion for Dr John Taylor, both in Church Street, Ashbourne.
One of the architectural features found in these frontages are the Venetian windows. At Compton House they are either side of the main door.
One of Francis Beresford daughters married Joseph Wright who made even more money from the Butterly company and built a stately home at Osmaston. Otherwise the Beresford family died out and the house was sold in 1840 to the Burton bank. Following various mergers and acquisitions it became part of the Lloyds Bank network.
Further information about the Compton House can be found on the OurAshbourne website http://ourashbourne.co.uk.
A walk around the heritage sites of Ashbourne, including Compton House, can be found in the Ashbourne Treasures Town Heritage Trail, available from the Ashbourne Visitor Information Centre in Town Hall Yard on the Market Place.