The General Wharf at Cromford was the original wharf completed with the canal in 1794. The Cromford Canal Act of 1789 provided for two alternative wharf locations. One was on the meadows near to the present railway bridge. The second was the option chosen and built, opposite the Cromford Mill and taking part of the garden of Rock House, the then home of Sir Richard Arkwright. Initially the wharf was built as a single canal channel and gothic warehouse. The wharf area was extended in 1824 by the building of a parallel second canal arm from the present winding hole. The Wharf was the headquarters of the canal carriers Wheatcrofts until they moved to Bullbridge. The goods handled included coal, timber, limestone, agricultural and domestic items.
The canal and wharf closed in 1938 when traffic ceased on the section of this canal. It was used as a depot until 1974. Car parking available (charges apply). Toilets with disabled and Changing Places facilities. Refreshments (please check for opening times). Picnic areas with tables and benches.
In December 2001, the Derwent Valley Mills in Derbyshire was inscribed on the World Heritage List. This international designation confirms the outstanding importance of the area as the birthplace of the factory system where in the 18th Century water power was successfully harnessed for textile production.
Find out more information about the history of Cromford Canal here
You can also find out what else there is to see and do along the Cromford Canal here