The Counting House was built in 1794 as part of the original canal construction. The building is a two storey irregular polygon structure of course dressed sandstone with a welsh slate roof. The building stands at the entrance to the wharf and would have been where the recording and control of goods into and out of the wharf would have taken place. The rougher stonework of the lower level and tooled finish and finer coursing of the upper suggests that this was initially a more basic single storey building, perhaps enlarged when the second arm of the canal and adjacent second warehouse were built. The building’s irregular shape is the result of being built on the small area of land between the gates to the wharf from Mill Lane and the culvert which brought the water to the canal from Cromford Mill yard.
In December 2001, the Derwent Valley Mills in Derbyshire was inscribed on the World Heritage List. This international designation confirms the outstanding importance of the area as the birthplace of the factory system where in the 18th Century water power was successfully harnessed for textile production.
Find out more information about the history of Cromford Canal here
You can also find out what else there is to see and do along the Cromford Canal here