This is a detail from a 1610 map of Derbyshire by the cartographer John Speed
Derby (Darbye) is shown as a prominent place. Shortly after this map was published, Derby was an important location for the 1642-1646 Civil War when it was garrisoned by Parliament soldiers under the command of Sir John Gell, 1st Baronet.
The immediate difference of the map comparing to current day Derby is the spelling. Over the centuries the name has transformed from Darbye to Derby. Prior to this it was named Derventio by the Romans, then Djúra-bý by the Vikings. Djúra-bý was recorded in Old English as Deorby, meaning ‘village of the deer’.
John Speed (the creator of this map) was an English cartographer and historian during the Stuart Period, originally a tailor but when his skills were noticed by researchers, he was given the chance to become a full time scholar which he pursued. By 1595, Speed published a map of Canaan in the biblical times, in 1598 he was given the honour to present his maps to Queen Elizabeth, and in 1611-1612 he published maps of Great Britain, with his son perhaps assisting Speed in surveys of English towns. His atlas The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine was published in 1611 and 1612, and contained the first set of individual county maps of England and Wales, which is where the map of Derbyshire most likely came from.