Commonly known as Derby Cathedral, the Cathedral of All Saints was first founded as a royal collegiate church in the mid-10th century, becoming a cathedral in 1927. The majority of the building which stands on the site today was a re-build completed by architect James Gibbs in 1725. Gibbs was responsible for redesigning many sites across Britain, including parts of St. Bartholomew’s Hospital in London and elements of many of the college buildings that form Oxford and Cambridge Universities.
The cathedral has the oldest ring of ten bells in the world. The largest bell is over 500 years old, predating the tower itself, with the youngest bell dated 1693. The majority of the bells have been in situ since 1678, when the number of bells in the tower increased from six to ten. The bells were rehung in 1687 by engineer George Sorocold, who later went on to build the Silk Mill.
The Smith of Derby carillon, mechanical instrument which drives the tunes played on the cathedral’s bells, plays a different tune every day of the week day at 9 am, 12 noon, and 6 pm.
In December 2001, the Derwent Valley Mills in Derbyshire was inscribed on the World Heritage List. This international designation confirms the outstanding importance of the area as the birthplace of the factory system where in the 18th Century water power was successfully harnessed for textile production.
Find out more information about the history of Derby here.
You can also find out what else there is to see and do in Derby here.