The Fishpond stands near to the Grand Pavillion, and some locals believe it to be smaller than it once was – however, this more likely to be a because the surrounding trees have grown larger around its edge.
Architect John Nuttall led the £11,000 construction of the Grand Pavilion in 1910 on the site of a former stables and blacksmiths yard next to the river Derwent. Later that year the Matlock and District Operatic Society performed there as well and the group are still performing today under the name of Matlock Musical Theatre.
After the disruption of WWII the Grand Pavilion saw a variety of events including the Miss Derbyshire competition, boxing matches and darts tournaments. The building continued to host music performances and was a primary venue for the town’s popular music festivals. Some of the more famous acts to perform at the Pavilion include Ken Dodd, Freddie And The Dreamers, The Searchers, Cream, Elvis Costello and Deep Purple.
In 2010, Derbyshire Dales District Council started a consultation that looked at disposal of the building. The local community action group, Save the Pavilion Group, was created to save the building. A plan was accepted by the Council in 2012 and it was agreed that the Save the Pavilion Group would take on the building.
For detailed history of the Grand Pavillion and additional photographs see the andrewgen.com website.