You should be standing by the ‘Silverlands’ street sign. Lots of evidence for the Roman presence in Buxton has been discovered in this part of town. There may have been a fort here, alongside a civilian settlement.
In 1862 the oldest inscribed milestone in Derbyshire was found at Silverlands – left behind by the Romans. The inscription reads ‘TRIB POT COS II P P A NAVIONE M P XI’ which translates as ‘WITH TRIBUNICIAN POWER, TWICE CONSUL, FATHER OF THIS COUNTRY, FROM NAVIO 11 MILES’. The name of the tribune who decrees that it is eleven miles to the Roman fort at Navio is missing from the inscription.
During the development of housing on Holker Road in 1903, the time-worn floors of a number of buildings were discovered. Excavation of these ruins uncovered a silver coin, tiles, leather sandals, gritstone hearths and over five hundred fragments of Samian pottery (favoured by the Roman elite).
It seems there was a wealthy ‘Romanised’ community here at Silverlands almost 2,000 years ago. Were they attracted to settle here by the sacred springs?
Two pieces of the pottery discovered bear the inscribed marks of the potters who made them: One was made by Albinus between 60 – 90 CE, the other by Doinus between 70-100 CE. Both pieces originated from St Albans – known as Verulamium under Roman rule.