Until its demolition in 1928, this old thatched inn had stood on the corner of the Market Place since at least the 18th century. For many years it was run by the Milward family. An attempt was made to sell it as a going concern in April 1907, but no buyer could be found, and it was closed down three years later.
The site was eventually sold to The Salvation Army, who, in 1935, erected the premises still standing today. The Salvation Army sold the site in 2011, and it is now a community centre for the town, called Number 28.
In December 2001, the Derwent Valley Mills in Derbyshire was inscribed on the World Heritage List. This international designation confirms the outstanding importance of the area as the birthplace of the factory system where in the 18th Century water power was successfully harnessed for textile production.
Find out more information about the history of Belper here
You can also find out what else there is to see and do in Belper here