Situated off the old moorland Roman road known as The Street is a shrine to St. Joseph, the patron saint and protector of the Catholic Church. When the Goyt Valley was a flourishing community, the shrine was a popular destination for people seeking a peaceful place to pray. Now the villages and farms of the valley are long gone; vanished with the advent of the 20th century reservoirs of Fernilee and Errwood, and the monument seems somewhat isolated and forlorn amongst the pine trees.
Inside the shrine, above the picture of St. Joseph is the carved inscription Munca se Ic Invoca evano a San Jose prueba de gratitude which means No one asks in vain of St. Joseph, a token of gratitude.
The initials D de Y, are those of Dona Maria Dolores de Ybarguen, a Spanish lady of noble birth who lived at nearby Errwood Hall as a companion to the lady of the house, Mrs Jessie Grimshawe, after the death of her husband Samuel Grimshawe in 1883. She also ran a small school for the children of the estate and was well thought of. Sadly, Dolores suffered from poor health and died on a visit to Lourdes in France at the young age of 35. The shrine was her favourite place.