This bridge was created in 1832 to allow Jedediah Strutt II of Green Hall (the owner and manager of the Belper Mills) access from his home (on the site of the Green Lane car park) to the Paddock on the other side of King Street. A great supporter of the Reform Act of that year, it allowed him to provide for a huge celebration of the passing of the act, for his workers.
The bridge was demolished in November or December 1867, after Jedediah’s death, when the house became a school for boys. The paddock was given to the town in 1921, to provide a setting for the town’s war memorial.
In December 2001, the Derwent Valley Mills in Derbyshire was inscribed on the World Heritage List. This international designation confirms the outstanding importance of the area as the birthplace of the factory system where in the 18th Century water power was successfully harnessed for textile production.
Find out more information about the history of Belper here
You can also find out what else there is to see and do in Belper here