Alongside the Lamplight Restaurant is Tiger Yard, a good example of of an Ashbourne yard. A number of yards survive in Ashbourne and can be explored. There were built on medieval burgage plots – narrow strips of land with a building at the front and a long croft (garden) behind. As the Town’s population expanded building space was short and parts of the medieval crofts were built on to form these yards containing workshops, storerooms and cottages.
Most yards were entered through a “tunnel” entrance and many had a public house at the entrance. This yard was named after the Tiger Inn, now the Lamplight Restaurant, at its entrance.
The Lamplight Restaurant is one of the oldest surviving timber-frame buildings in the Town, and is a good example of how buildings were “modernised” to keep up with building fashions.
In Tiger Yard, you can see the Tudor timber frame and brick construction; recently some timbers were dated to 1493. In Georgian times, a brick front was added whilst, in the Victorian period, the front was rendered and decorative bargeboards were installed. Finally, in the 20th Century, a large glass window was added for a restaurant.
More information on the Lamplight Restaurant and Tiger Yard can be found on the Our Ashbourne website.
A walk around the heritage sites in Ashbourne, including Tiger Yard, can be found in Ashbourne Treasures Town Heritage Trail, which can be obtained from the Visitor Information Centre in Town Hall Yard off the Market Place.