Publisher: F. Frith & Co of Reigate
This postcard is believed to have been taken in the 1950’s. The postcard comes from a series published by F. Frith & Co of Reigate. It depicts Wirksworth’s Market place, and the buildings still retain much of their original character and charm. Marsden was an agricultural merchant (and supplier of air pellets) to some point in the early 1980s, and always had a quantity of wares outside of the shop. Locals to this day remember walking in though main door, where there were pots and kitchen items for available for sale. Behind the counter, which was on the left of the store, there were shelves and draws with do-it-yourself tools. The store is remembered with the ever present evocative smell of paraffin in the air.
Locals remember that in 196o’s one could still buy these postcards at the little tobacconists shop opposite the Hope & Anchor Pub, and Marsden’s put a selection items of stock out on the pavement in front of the shop.
Many postcards of this era were produced using early colour printing techniques under the theme of the “Derbyshire Artistic Series” which was produced by George Marsden & Son, Wirksworth and London. Marsdens printing business was situated at 20 Market Place, Wirksworth which is current occupied by “Traid Links”.
For more photographs, postcards and details about the George Marsden printing business, see Wirksworth’s Parish Records.