You should be standing by the 'Silverlands' street sign. Lots of evidence for the Roman presence in Buxton has been discovered in this part of town. There may have been a fort here, alongside a civilian settlement. In 1862 the oldest inscribed milestone in Derbyshire was found at Silverlands – left behind by the Romans. The inscription reads ‘TRIB POT COS II P P A NAVIONE M P XI’ which translates as 'WITH TRIBUNICIAN POWER, TWICE CONSUL, FATHER OF THIS COUNTRY, FROM NAVIO 11 MILES'. The name of the tribune who decrees that it is eleven miles to the Roman fort ... (read more)
DERSB : 1979.915
Roman milestone found at Silverlands, Buxton, around.100CE. It records the distance between Buxton and the fort at Navio (modern-day Brough) as 11 miles.
In 1862, the oldest inscribed milestone in Derbyshire was found at Silverlands in Buxton, left behind by the Romans. The inscription reads TRIB POT COS II P P A NAVIONE M P XI which translates WITH TRIBUNICIAN POWER, TWICE CONSUL, FATHER OF THIS COUNTRY, FROM NAVIO 11 MILES. The name of the tribune is missing from the inscription, so it is difficult to date accurately.
Many Roman objects have been discovered in the Silverlands area of Buxton. In 1903, the development of housing on Holker Road uncovered the floors of a number of buildings, alongside coins, tiles, leather sandals, gritstone hearths and over five hundred fragments of Samian-ware pottery.
- Who collected it? Bates, J.C. (collector)
- Rights: Creative Commons CC BY-NC 4.0 Buxton Museum and Art Gallery (part of Derbyshire County Council)