You should be standing by the 'Silverlands' street sign. Lots of evidence for the Roman presence in Buxton has been discovered in this part of town. There may have been a fort here, alongside a civilian settlement. In 1862 the oldest inscribed milestone in Derbyshire was found at Silverlands – left behind by the Romans. The inscription reads ‘TRIB POT COS II P P A NAVIONE M P XI’ which translates as 'WITH TRIBUNICIAN POWER, TWICE CONSUL, FATHER OF THIS COUNTRY, FROM NAVIO 11 MILES'. The name of the tribune who decrees that it is eleven miles to the Roman fort ... (read more)
Samian ware bowl fragments
DERSB : 5318
Pottery found Silverlands and the Market Place, Buxton, 75CE-410CE; Four sherds of samian bowl, form 29, from Silverlands; Complete small flagon with narrow neck and globular body, from Buxton Market Place.
- Description: height 6; width 115mm; length 150mm; depth mm; diameter mm
- Who collected it? Salt, M. (collector)
- Rights: Creative Commons CC BY-NC 4.0 Buxton Museum and Art Gallery (part of Derbyshire County Council)