The creation of the tunnel in front of you exposed rocks formed 326 million years ago - a time when this part of the world was a reef in a warm tropical sea, close to the Equator.(read more)
Colonial corals, Dibunophyllum species
DERSB : 9623
Colonial corals, Dibunophyllum species from Monsal Head. 360-326 million years old. Colonial corals grew in shallow water, while solitary corals had a greater depth range.
- Description: height 90 mm; length 460 mm; width 280 mm; diameter mm; depth mm; weight 9 kg
- Taxonomic Name: Dibunophyllum sp.
- Who collected it? JWJ (collector)
- Credits: Dagger collection.
- Rights: Creative Commons CC BY-NC 4.0 Buxton Museum and Art Gallery (part of Derbyshire County Council)