On the skyline above the town, Solomon’s Tower marks the site of Grin Low Barrow, where people of the Bronze Age buried their dead.
The barrow was excavated in 1894 by local antiquarians William and Micah Salt.
It is carefully made of concentric rings of angled slabs. Inside were the remains of four human skeletons (A, B, C and D). Stone boxes (cists) protected the heads of burials A and B, and at D the remains were in a shallow rock-cut grave. There were also two human cremations (E and G). At E a cist held the cremated remains of a child along with a flint blade. The people were buried with a variety of objects. These include the teeth and burnt bones of animals, a pot, flint tools and a slate whetstone.