Historically, visitors to Buxton were encouraged to both bathe in the thermal waters (at 28 degrees Celsius, hardly even warm!) and to drink the water, which was doled out at St Anne’s Well by ‘well women’.
The picture above shows the water source inside the Pump Room, built in 1894. But the tradition of well women long predated this structure.
Dr Granville visited Buxton on his tour of English spas in 1839. While having some good things to say about Buxton, he objected to the ‘venerable’ attendants who handed out the drinking waters, and to the penny tip which was expected, since the well women received no other payment. He suggested the attendants should be younger (but not that they should be properly remunerated!).