Compton House, now known as Lloyds bank, was probably the work by the prominent Derby architect Joseph Pickford.
He built it around 1766 for Francis Beresford (1737 – 1801), who was a younger son of the main Beresford gentry family. Francis, an attorney, made his wealth out of the Butterley Company at Ripley in Derbyshire.
The façade of Compton House is very similar to another work of Pickford, 44 Friar St, Derby, except its facade is in brick and Compton House is in Stone. Prior to building Compton House Joseph Pickford did work re-fronting The Grey House for Brian Hodgson and The Mansion for Dr John Taylor, both in Church Street, Ashbourne.
One of the architectural features found in these frontages are the Venetian windows. At Compton House they are either side of the main door.