The workshops at High Peak Junction are where the pioneers of transport built and repaired the waggons that ran on the Cromford and High Peak Railway. They are the oldest surviving railway workshops.
The Cromford Canal shipped goods in and out of the Valley to the South. The railway was an even more ambitious solution to create a direct line across the Pennines to Manchester. Originally there were no locomotives and the waggons were pulled by horse. Enormous steam engines (similar to the one that powered the Leawood Pump) moved the waggons up the inclines over the moors to over 1000 feet.