Dalton’s moved onto this site in 1934. The big building had previously been a hosiery warehouse for Ward Sturt and Sharp, built in 1850. Dalton’s were best known for the Silkolene brand and pioneering work on refining oil during the Second World War. The site was closed down in 2000.
This junction was turned into a roundabout when the supermarket was built in 1988. The old men’s urinals against the wall were removed at this time.