The Ticket Office was most probably built when the Cromford & High Peak Railway was being constructed around 1840 to control and register the movement of goods being transported between the canal and railway (the building was marked as “Office” on the 1878 OS records). A ticket would be attached to the waggons, once registered, indicating goods carried and their destination. The building is constructed of dressed sandstone with a clay tile roof and double hung sash windows. There are two rooms inside the building. One was possibly the formal office and the other a mess room. There is a fire place in each room, hence the double chimney that can be observed from outside.
Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site
The Weighbridge Office was built sometime between 1878 and 1898. It is a small single roomed building, built in a cutting out of the bank, it has a tall chimney which is visible from a distance. Built from random coarse gritstone with a blue Welsh tiled roof and brick chimney. The building is aligned parallel to what was the railway track and faces the canal. It is understood that the actual weighbridge was immediately in front of the building. It is interesting to note that the steps at the side of the building leading up to the paddock at the rear were constructed using old Cromford & High Peak Railway sleeper blocks. The weighbridge was a later addition to High Peak Junction but was an important component of the goods operation when the connection to the mainline had been made.
Browns Swing Bridge is an original feature of the Cromford Canal. The earliest recording of the bridge is in the 1811 survey of the canal and describes it as an accommodation bridge for “Hobson’s House” later to become the Junction Inn (land owned by Arkwright).
The water tower and tank that served the Cromford & High Peak Railway and is located opposite the workshop at the bottom of the incline. The original assembly in this location appears to date from between 1878 and 1898, although the small size of the cast iron plates suggests the tank assembly may date from the first introduction of steam in the 1830’s. Water was one of the primary goods carried in water carriages on the Cromford & High Peak Railway, needed for both stationary and locomotive steam engines working the railway from 1833. A water supply was also needed for domestic and industrial consumers along the upper reaches of the porous lime stone uplands.
There are two brake vans situated at High Peak Junction which are open for you to investigate and look around. These are located on part of the old track just behind the workshops and are typical of the vans used along this line. The brake van or guards van was equipped with the only brake on the waggons (other than the loco) as none of the waggons at the time had brakes. The brake van was marshalled at the rear of the waggons so that both portions of the train could be brought to a standstill in the event of a coupling failure.
Car parking available off Mill Lane, near Lea Bridge (charges apply). Toilets. Refreshments (please check for opening times). Picnic areas with tables and benches. For the information and detail of the buildings etc please see separate items
In December 2001, the Derwent Valley Mills in Derbyshire was inscribed on the World Heritage List. This international designation confirms the outstanding importance of the area as the birthplace of the factory system where in the 18th Century water power was successfully harnessed for textile production.
Find out more information about the history of Cromford Canal here
You can also find out what else there is to see and do along the Cromford Canal here