Potter’s Draper and Hosier
8 Terrace Road, Buxton
Potter’s Department Store was established in 1860 by John William Potter at Burlington House on Hardwick Street, selling clothing and home textiles. At that time it was just round the corner from its present location of London House, shown here on Terrace Road, where it moved 10 years later.
Mr Potter was continuing in his father’s footsteps, manufacturing hand-wrought hosiery in their Matlock factory and selling these and other clothing in the Buxton store.
The covered colonnade continued a feature of shops on Spring Gardens designed to protect shoppers from the Buxton weather.