The triple chain of the Howden, Derwent and Ladybower Reservoirs which flood the Upper Derwent Valley, represent the largest area of water in the Peak, and has been dubbed the Peak District’s Lake District.
The Derwent Dams were constructed by the Derwent Valley Water Board (now Severn-Trent) to supply fresh clean water to the fast-expanding industrial populations of Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham and Leicester.
The first two massive masonry dams constructed were the Howden and Derwent, between 1902 and 1916. During construction a temporary village, known as Tin Town because of its corrugated iron walls and roofs, housed the 1,000 or so navvies (labourers) and their families.
The larger Ladybower dam and reservoir followed in 1943, and took two years to finally fill! To accommodate the reservoirs, the villages of Derwent and Ashopton were demolished and their residents were re-housed at nearby Bamford. In times of drought, the foundations of some of the buildings can still be seen rising from the water.