The Buxton Ladies Baths have been through many changes over the years. In 1695, when Cornelius White designed and built the first baths since the Roman invasion, ladies were expected to share the Poor, or Charity, Baths.
Later developments incorporated the ladies baths into the Thermal, or Hot Baths, building which utilized the famous glass ceilings. In 1985 the Hot baths were converted into a shopping centre known as the Cavendish Arcade which still retains original features of two of the smaller baths.
Click the button to hear Janet Byers recount the horrors of the cold water treatment lady.
Press READ MORE to see the audio transcript.